Saturday, November 3, 2007

nanowrimo

So november is national novel writing month and I am definitely going to make it to the 50,000 word count this month... even though I haven't started yet and actually probably have even less time to do it than I have had other times. I still haven't decided what kind of book it is going to be. I was thinking either science fiction or fantasy if it was going to be a science fiction I was going to do some sort of story about a set of superhuman genetically engineered creatures who are essentially immortal and each of which has a very different view on the prospect of being immortal. That may sound a bit fuzzy and that is because it is a bit fuzzy I'm not really sure where to go with that one.
On the other hand if it was going to be a fantasy story I think I would do something rather similar to the backstory of my current dnd character which runs something like this. There is a powerful mage who is collecting the memories of people from accross the planes of existence and our hero is earmarked to have his memories consumed by this being and he would rather like to avoid it. It could be fun to write but just exactly how our hero defeats the godlike magus is not clear to me but that is ok... I don't have to end the story I only need to drag the story out to 50,000 words.
Lastly though I have been thinking about a story that is more of the sci-fi/fantasy mix thing it would be set in a modern day setting (maybe a few years in the future for fun) and the main character would be a skeptical physicist (yes I know it is tacky to base ones main character on ones self but he isn't me he would just be posessed of certain qualities of me and how else can a writer work but to put bits of themselves on the page?) This physicist would be relatively ordinary except he would happen to have a soul. It would not be called a soul in the book it would be called something more subtle like a "spark" and then be immediately likened to a soul something that is the essence of the person who has it. In the context of the story the idea is that not everyone has a soul or rather not everyone has a "spark". The book wouldn't make it clear what the nature of this spark object was there would be multiple groups with different theories about it. There would be a religious group who believe the spark is the physical manifestation of the soul and that those people who have the spark are something akin to a godly army on earth. But there would also be more secular groups who would simply be researching the properties of this relativley newly discovered "spark" of course our hero much more readily takes to the idea that this spark can be explained with the sciences of the day. At any rate the plot of the story runs something like this sparks give super powers to people who have them and there is something very unusual about our hero's spark that makes him very desirable to a large number of groups the good guys get to him first but then he is on the run and has to find out what is going etc.

if you feel like it you could post comments on the story ideas I rather think I won't have anything set in stone for the next couple of days.

No comments: